Ten goals I'm aiming to smash in 2018:
- Run a marathon (Paris - I'm coming for you!).
- I aspire to be able to run 10km in less than 60 mins by summer. Once the marathon is over I'm going to focus on speed instead of distance. I'm mere seconds off a sub-60 10km at present, but I accept that this isn't going to happen during marathon training. I can run a sub-30 minute 5km, but the 10km distance seems to be my nemesis!
- Grow my blog by continuing to post twice a week and earn a steady income from my writing by the end of 2018.
- Read 12 books by the end of the year. I can easily devour a book in a day, but time and effort often eludes me. I'm going to aim for one book per month and plan in advance what I am going to read to keep the momentum going.
- Build an even stronger marriage. Don't get me wrong - James and I are already quite the formidable team. But one day, our children will fly the nest and it will just be the two of us again. It's so important to have fun together and continue to enjoy each other's company. So I would like to aim for at least one intentional date per month, just us, with no distractions.
- Improve my photography skills by learning how to use the manual functions on my DSLR and switching away from auto mode! The photos I've posted on the blog so far have all been taken with an iPhone and while they're not bad, you can't beat a real photograph taken on a real camera, can you? In that vein, I'd also like to collate all the 'proper' photos we've taken since the children were small and catalogue them in some way - perhaps creating physical albums to cherish.
- Do something that scares me! You've got to challenge yourself in life, haven't you? I don't think I'll ever be able to hold a spider (shudder - the thought alone makes my skin crawl!), but I also have an irrational fear of heights that just appeared from nowhere when I became a mother twelve years ago. I'm going to try climbing. I think it will be terrifying and exhilarating in equal measure!
- Buy less, do more! Travel, days out, music, culture. We've got three concerts to look forward to already, we've booked three trips abroad (four in James' case!) and our minds are whirring with other potential adventures. James would love to try skiing, I've been hankering to go to Copenhagen for years and Sophia still wants to go to the zoo to visit the sloths. Freya is desperate to go to Berlin again and Reuben's dream is to see his beloved Spurs play. I'm not sure how much of that is achievable in the next 12 months, but it is certainly something to work towards!
- Spend time outdoors everyday. A walk, a spot of gardening, cycle rides or just playing. Because fresh air is such a tonic for the soul, isn't it?
- We put a lot of effort into our home in 2017, so 2018 shall be about enjoying it. I'd like to make a purposeful effort to have people over at least once a month for a meal, drinks or simply to catch up.
What goals have you set? Let's motivate each other!